Hypothyroidism is a condition in which thyroid hormone levels becomes low. Thyroid gland is the butterfly shaped organ that is present in neck and produces hormones that are involved in body metabolism and energy control. In this condition, when their level is decreased, diverse body organs get affected.
Low level of thyroid makes you sluggish and also you always feel fatigue and weak muscles. Muscle aches and joint pains are also very common. This condition affects day to day living and its control is very necessary. Nature has provided us with different things that we can do to control this disease. Mainly thyroid hormones are made from iodine and adding iodine containing foods can be beneficial. It can be controlled from naturally occurring components. Some plants that may help in correcting this condition are given below:
Siberian ginseng is known to produce highly good impact on adrenal and thymus gland and this effectiveness is in turn beneficial to improve thyroid functioning. It can also be used to improve fatigue that is a major problem in hypothyroidism.
- Add 100-200 mg of ginseng before your meals to improve its effectiveness.
Nettle is a good iodine source. It is known that nettle can correct any type of thyroid imbalance. It provides with iodine that makes thyroid functioning normal. It can be used in following ways.
- Add 1 tablespoon of dried nettle in boiling water.
- Let it boil for 10 minutes then strain and drink it.
- It can be used twice or thrice a day.
If you don’t want to drink tea, you can massage your neck region with its oil. This will soothe your thyroid gland and helps in its functioning.
Bladder wrack is seaweed and it has increased amount of iodine. It can be used to correct thyroid functions because of its elevated iodine levels.
- Adding 200mg of bladder wrack in your daily routine can improve your thyroid functioning.
Flaxseeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids. They are known to induce good effects on thyroid and thus improve its functioning. Flaxseeds are used as whole and also in oil form, both are beneficial.
- Take ground flaxseeds one tablespoon and consume them empty stomach with water.
- Take one tablespoon flaxseed oil daily and thyroid functioning will be improved.
Fruits and Vegetables
Ginger is an anti inflammatory agent. It contains zinc, potassium and magnesium which make it a good source that can correct thyroid function.
- Make ginger tea by adding few slices of it in boiling water.
- You can also consume dry ginger directly or add it to the meal you eat.
Carrots are good source of vitamin A and can help in maintaining thyroid levels. Increase carrot intake, it will make you feel good.
These walnuts are rich in iodine and their intake can correct your body iodine level that can be helpful in treating hypothyroidism. They are also rich in magnesium that further improves their impact on thyroid gland. Add black walnuts to your daily diet to get good results.